The City of Solvang is heavily reliant upon State Water to ensure a consistent supply of water for The City of Solvang. Our allocation for the year of 2021 is a meager 5% of our 1,500 Acre Feet (AF) entitlement. As a result, on April 12, 2021 the City Council issued a Stage 1 Drought declaration for The City of Solvang. For as long as the Stage 1 Drought condition exists the following water regulations and other such regulations as may be adopted by resolution of the city council, shall apply to all use of water that is provided by the city water supply system:
1. Voluntary water conservation by all city customers aimed at a fifteen percent (15%) reduction in water use from the specified prior benchmark year's average monthly water usage. The benchmark year shall be established in the resolution.
2. Irrigation of turf such as schoolyards, parks, ball fields, golf courses, green spaces, etc., shall be allowed only between the hours of ten o'clock (10:00) P.M. and six o'clock (6:00) A.M.
3. All restaurants that provide table service shall post, in a conspicuous place, a notice of drought condition and shall refrain from serving water except upon specific request by a customer.
4. Operators of hotels, motels and other commercial establishments offering lodging shall post in each room a notice of drought condition containing water conservation information. Linens and towels shall be washed no more than every second day for guests staying more than one night.
5. Exterior sprinkler watering of plants, lawns, shrubbery, ground cover, etc., shall be permitted only between the hours of eight o'clock (8:00) P.M. to eight o'clock (8:00) A.M. during the months of March through October, and only between the hours of four o'clock (4:00) P.M. to ten o'clock (10:00) A.M. during the months of November through February.
6. Vehicles shall be washed only at commercial car washing facilities.
7. The washing of hard surfaces such as driveways and sidewalks shall be prohibited except where necessary to protect the public health and safety.
8. The loss of water through breaks or leaks in any water user's plumbing must be corrected within twenty four (24) hours of the user's knowledge of that condition.